Mr. & Mrs. Malagamaalii

Mr. & Mrs. Malagamaalii

Sunday, December 28, 2014

One, Two, Three

This post may be a little TMI for you, just as a warning.

Date of doctors appointment: December 12, 2014
Time: 10:10 AM

"You're still at 1-2 cm, so not quite yet. Your blood pressure is a bit high though. How do you feel about getting induced today?" At this point I was already at 39 weeks and 6 days, so obviously I said, "Yes!" "Great! Head home and get everything that you need. I'll come by the hospital around noon and we'll go a head and break your water to start your contractions." All I could think was, is this really happening? Did my OB just ask me if I wanted to have an induction? After my last doctors appointment (thank goodness), my husband and I came home to grab a few things, then went straight to the hospital. All I remember feeling at this point was excitement, but at the same time I was a bit nervous.

As my husband, my mother-in-law and I walked in to the labor and delivery area of the Timpanogos Regional Hospital, I started to get more nervous. We got to the Nurses Station and let them know that we were there for an induction. The nurses were so nice! When we got there we got greeted to a big room where I could literally fit all of the 15 family members that came to visit me. Right when we got in to our room (which was less than 2 minutes, thanks to my mom who suggested that I register before hand), the nurse said "We'll have you put this gown on and then have you jump right in bed." It was really happening. Our baby girl was on her way, whether we were ready or not.

With in a few minutes of being there, I had an IV in me and my parents there. An hour after that, "Alright we're ready to break your water! Are you ready?" I looked at my mom, puzzled and said "yes?" Let me just add, that getting an induction for the first time, was not part of our plan. I hoped that maybe, just maybe she'll want to come on her own and I'd be able to experience everything first hand. That instant thought suddenly went away, because I knew that everything was about to change. Before the nurse broke my water, I asked if we could check if my dilation had increased. I know hopeful thinking, but at this point anything could help. "Sorry Leah, your only 2 cm dilated." UGHHHHHHHHH. The suspense had been killing me. All I wanted to do was meet our precious angel.

The nurse pulled out a long stick and asked if I was ready. Once again I gave her my puzzled look and said "yes?" I swear I have more words in my everyday vocabulary than yes added on with a puzzled look. This day was the day for my puzzled look and my only answer as yes. Anyways, as soon as the nurse broke my water, it felt like all I was just doing was peeing non stop. Eventually I had to have a catheter placed in me because at this point I was bed ridden.

"Would you like some ice chips? We have watermelon, strawberry..." My nieces told me before that all they could eat when they were in labor was ice and I honestly thought they were joking until now. "Sure I'll take Watermelon pleaseeeeee (my first contraction that I've ever felt was now.)" When the nurse came back with my ice chips, she checked me again to see how far I've been dilated. "It looks good! You're at a 3 now!" Not even kidding 10 minutes later all I could feel was pain and I immediately asked for the epidural. Once again things were not as I had planned. I thought I could be a big girl with big girl panties and go natural. Haha yeah no! The anesthesiologist came in and not even 10 minutest later he was out and so was I.

This is when things started to speed up. By this time it was 7:00 PM and I was not even close to 10 cm. It seemed like an eternity. The later it got, the more tired we got. At this time we slowly started to have people come to visit both Perry and I. More so they just wanted to see baby already and so did I. By 12 AM I was finally 10 cm dilated and 100% effaced. (I still have no idea what that means.) "Okay Leah, here's whats going to happen. I want you to put your knees up towards your chest, at the same time I want you to hold your legs in that position, by placing your hands behind your thighs and holding them in place." The nurse explained to be that two people will be helping me to hold my legs up while all at the same time I push. That's right it was time!

"Who wants to help and hold her legs? Dad would you like to help and then you'll be able to see your baby come too? And what about Mom? Would you like to come and help?"

Apparently I wasn't pushing correctly. The more I would push the more my daughter would decide to come out with her forehead first, or with her nose. "Leah, how are you feeling? Are you okay?" Obviously I was more than fine because I kept pressing the button to get the epidural.

By this time I've already been pushing for 45 minutes and my daughter was no where near coming out. Since nothing was happening my doctor gave us two options. The first was to do a vaccum assisted birth or the second which was the C - Section. I wanted to choose the first option until the doctor mentioned that my daughters heart beat kept droping everytime I pushed. "Let's go with the C-Section." As the doctor and nurse left the room my eyes started to fill with tears. The thought of my daughters heart beat dropping kept running through my head. I tried to keep all of the nsgative thoughts out of my head and said a little prayer in my head for my little soon to be family. I looked to my mom and asked if she could call my dad so that I could get another blessing from him as well as my husband. Unfortunately the epidural slowly wore off, so during the blessing all you could hear was hard breathing from me. (Contractions are NO joke.) 
Once the blessing was finished I got wheeled away in to the operating room where they began the operation. I told the doctor "I need my husband. Where's my husband?" With in 2 minutes my husband walks in, held my hand and started cracking jokes. Leave it to my husband to crack jokes on me while Im getting cut open. UGH HELLER IM IN PAIN! Once he stopped and looked over the drape, I knew SHE was here. The look on my husbands face was a sight unexplainable. The nurse asked my husband if he wanted to hold our daughter. He grabbed her and brought her over to me. My heart sank and I fell in love all over again. I couldn't believe what we created. 

Our beautiful healthy daughter, Chawney Anelamaiku'upu'uwai Sema Malagamaalii was born on December 3, 2014 at 1:23 am. She weighed 7 lbs. 4 oz . and 19 in. Our beautiful angel from our heart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment